Saturday, December 18, 2010

The annual Danish Pastry project

Every year, sometime in December, our company has a goody day.  It is a day where everyone brings their favorite goody to share with everyone else.  We all meet in the break/conference room at the appropriate break times and completely stuff ourselves with all the food that you want to eat but know you should not eat.  I make one of my all time favorite Christmas time snacks that my mom used to make every year when I was growing up.  We call them Danish Pastries.  And yes, I make them.  I do not have Brooke make them and then claim that I did it.  They are pretty simple to make but take a lot of time.  I usually start right after dinner the night before, and usually finish cooking the last batch about midnight.  This year was no exception.  Emma and Riah helped me a little bit this year, but it did not seem to go any faster.  I was still cooking them until 2357.  (that is 11:57 pm if you do not understand 24 hour time,)  I did not think they turned out as good this year, but everyone else seemed to like them.  I made somewhere around 6 dozen for work and they are all gone.
Here is all it takes to make them.
Like I said, they are pretty easy to make.  You just need some butter, flour, sugar, salt, milk, yeast, Cinnamon, and powdered sugar and your ready to go.  I would recommend a mixing bowl, whisk, measuring devices, some wax paper, a small spoon, and a rolling pin as well, but that's just how I do it!  Just mix some ingredients, roll some dough, chill some dough, roll it again, cut and form some shapes, let them rise and cook them.  So I guess you need an oven too.  
Here are some in the rising stage and I am rolling some more in the background.
More in the rising stage while I am cutting and shaping some more.
Here is the end result after around 5.5 hours of hard labor in the kitchen.  I hope everyone enjoyed them after all that work.  I would be glad to show you how to make them, but not until next December.  Once a year is plenty.  Now I know why my mom only made them once a year at Christmas time.

No comments: