Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Pen

Something happened today that I knew was coming, but was beginning to wonder if it would ever happen. My pen ran out of ink! I know this happens all the time, but this pen was different. It has performed valiantly for the last 2 months without even appearing to be tired, when it looked as if it had no ink to write with. It was a great pen. For 2 months, with no visible ink inside, it wrote on, not even fading a little. For 2 months this pen has fought to stay alive and out of the garbage can. Then suddenly today, with little warning, it could go on writing no longer. It struggled to finish a small word. With the last letter, it showed its lack of ink with a faded color. It tried to continue and started the next word. But with each stroke it was lighter and lighter, and before I could finish the word, it was over. The pen was dry. I had no time to mourn for the pen as I needed to continue to take notes. So I put the faithful pen away, grabbed the spare, and continued on writing. It was just not the same. It was a little different color and not as smooth, but somehow I made it through. So now I write this to remember that faithful writing instrument that would not die, and share this last picture of that faithful pen with its replacement. Hopefully I can get used to this new pen and it will last half as long as the old one.
Okay, that's enough of the sappy stuff, time to put The Pen in the can. I need to go hunting.

No comments: