Friday, October 17, 2008

Gawkers beware

Well, tomorrow is the first day of Elk season in the Cascades. I have 1 week to find one of those Gawkers I have been blogging about the last few months and put him in my freezer. I have done a little scouting to try to find where the Elk, Gawkers or Runners, have been hanging out. That way I would know a good place to start looking. All I have seen are other hunters doing the same thing. So after a week of looking, I still have no idea where the elk are or where to hunt for them. I know where some were about 2 months ago, but even a Gawker won't stand still in one place for that long! They tend to move around a lot.
Since the first weekend of October, it has been deer season. I have, to this point, failed to see a deer to shoot at. Today I was within about 20 feet or less of 2 deer, but the brush was so thick I could not see them even that close! They were apparently runners, because they took off like a flash and I heard them bouncing away for a while and never could get a peek at them. It did not matter anyway, because I did not have the rifle with me. I thought I might actually see a live animal if I left my gun in the truck. It almost worked!
Enough about deer. That season is over now, until after elk season, so lets talk about the bigger variety of Gawkers. I do have to shoot a bull this year, as I did not draw a cow tag. The last 2 years I have drawn cow tags and was successful both times. Bulls are a little harder to find.

I am not going to be greedy and wait for one with the big trophy size antlers, like the guy in this picture. Can you see him? I would be over joyed to find this during hunting season.

This would be the ultimate dream in a hunters life. Those are all bulls. The only problem is this pic was taken in April and hunting season is in October. Why can't they do this for me when its hunting season? So barring a scene like this, the first legal Gawker that steps in front of my sights is the one I am going to try to get. Remember, those horns don't taste very good. I just want to get more meat in the freezer. I have been praying that God would provide for us by helping me have a successful hunt and I would get an elk to fill the freezer for another year. But I know that even if I do not bag an elk, God will provide for us in some other way. He always does. (It should be obvious to anyone that has seen me that I don't miss too many meals or go hungry very often.) I will just enjoy the time I have hunting and if I am successful, Praise God. I just have to remember not to get frustrated when all I see are the hind ends of runners disappearing into a nasty brush hole. If you do not read anymore blogs about Gawkers in the next week, I did not get one. Otherwise, stayed tuned for a Gawker report. If you venture out into the woods in the next week or so, make sure to wear lots of orange and try not to look like an elk or deer! Theres a lot of crazies out there, and they all have big guns.

No comments: