Saturday, November 6, 2010

Kids, hammers, glue, and nails!

We like to do things with our kids. Back when Emma was only about 3 years old, we discovered the Home Depot kids workshop. The first Saturday of every month you can take you kids into Home Depot and they can build a project that Home Depot provides. This is great for me since I love doing things with my daughters and I love woodworking, it is fun for all of us. They give each child a little Kids Workshop apron with their name written on it and a certificate of completion when they are done. The project is different every month and sometimes goes with the time of year it is, for example, they usually build a race car in February to go with the start of NASCAR season.
It started with just Emma and then, once Riah was about 3 years old, I started taking her with us too. Now, Sarah is 3 so we decided last month that she could join in the fun. Actually, Brooke was gone to a women's retreat, so I had to take all four of the girls so that Emma and Riah could build their project. Since Sarah was there, I decided to let her build on too. (I helped her a little) Leah was content to just sit in the stroller and watch her big sisters bang on nails with a hammer. Last month they built a fire boat.
This month the project was a little spice rack. Here are the girls proudly displaying the finished project. (We had to put a bunch of tools out in the picture for effect!)

Here is one of my cute little woodworkers.

They also each get a little pin that shows the project that they completed. Our girls like to put them on their aprons.


Here Sarah is showing me where her pins are. She has 2 now.



Here is Riahs apron and pin collection. She has done quite a few projects.



Then there is Emmas apron. She just about needs help carrying it because it has so many pins.

I think this is a fun tradition that I hope to be able to do with my girls for a long time!

No comments: