Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving day is coming to a close. I have a cold and do not feel that well right now, but as I think about the last year, I remember that I have a lot to be thankful for. The first thing that comes to mind, even though its been 3 years, is the fact that I did not have to work today as I did at my previous job for 12 year. In fact, I have taken the entire week off and a couple days next week, just because I can.
Every morning I try to start my day by reading God's word. I have read through the entire bible once over this last year. The reading, church messages and bible studies have helped me grow closer to God and helped my faith and understanding grow greatly. This just continues to increase my thankfulness for my God and Savior, Jesus Christ. On this same note, I am thankful for the church that we are a part of. Through the teachings and fellowship there, I am greatly blessed.

As always I am thankful for the wonderful wife that God has blessed me with. She is a great blessing to me and I thank God that he gave her to me, even when I was not following Him.

I am also very thankful for the 3 beautiful daughters that God has entrusted me to raise. I sometimes wonder if I am doing it right, but I know that if I follow God's plan and bring them up in Gods way, then God will take care of the rest. Its hard to believe he would entrust these 3 precious lives to someone like me, but I know that He knows best. So if He thinks I am capable of training them, I will have to trust in Him to guide me.

The other things I can think of, are just things. Like our home, my job, and our car. These are all just material things that God has blessed us with. Things that other people may not have. So I know we must not take these things for granted as they are just things and can be taken away. But God has blessed us even beyond that. He has given us things that are not even needed. Things like my woodworking tools. Just stuff that I enjoy using in my free time. There are lots of other things as well.

The important thing to remember is that God is in control and loves us greatly and has made a way for us to be with Him eternally, once all these things are gone. So even if you don't feel well or have a lot of stuff, you have plenty to be thankful for.

No comments: