Saturday, August 2, 2008

If you want to win a raffle, sit next to me.

If you want to win a raffle, take me with you and sit next to me!
Today was our church golf tournament. One of the prizes was a chainsaw. To be in the raffle for the saw you had to pay $5 and hit the green with your drive on a certain par 3. I did not pay or hit the green, but one member of my team did. So I told him, if you want to win the chainsaw, sit next to me at the drawing. I told him this due to experience. I never win raffles, but 9 times out of 10 the person sitting or standing next to me does win. For example, I go to a seminar for work a couple times a year. One of these seminars always has door prizes that they raffle off. Everybody gets 1 ticket and they draw for prizes throughout the day. For the last 4 seminars I can remember, the person sitting next to me has one a prize. On 2 of these occasions, the person sitting on either side of me won prizes. I, as yet, have never won a prize at one of these seminars. One other example was about 5 years ago, at a wildfire conference in Reno. There was a lot of prizes, and you bought tickets and put your tickets in the bucket for only the prizes you wanted. There was one prize I really wanted so I put 45 tickets in the bucket for that prize. There were about 3 other tickets in already. Then my boss at the time, put 1 ticket in every bucket.(About 50 items.) Time for the drawing came and my boss won 2 prizes, including the one I put all my tickets in! Guess where he was standing! Yes, next to me! Now this brings me back to today. All my team laughed when I told Ryan he would win if he sat next to me and we went on playing. Once we finished,, we went back to the clubhouse and ate lunch while we waited for the prizes. Ryan just happened to sit next to me. Remember, he is the only one on our team to qualify for the drawing for the saw. There was 16 people in the drawing. The suspense built as we waited for the person to pick the name out of the hat. I looked at Ryan and reminded him of what I told him. Guess who's name was called. Yep, Ryan took home a nice brand new chainsaw! So if you ever need to win a raffle, I might be persuaded to come along and stand next to you. For a small fee of course.

No comments: